Sunday, July 18, 2010

Inception

Watched the highly acclaimed "Inception" on Friday. Below is my take.

Short version: "Titanic" is better.

And I don't say this because I like "Titanic".

My two favorite stories about "Titanic" are as follows. When the movie was first released on VHS, the MicroNews - internal MS paper that back then was a print edition - published this classified ad: "Titanic on VHS. First tape watched once. Second tape never watched".

Second story: among Windows developers Intel's Itanium chip is known as "Itanic". Although this one has nothing to do with the movie...

Long version: If you consider "Matrix" brainy and captivating, "Inception" is for you!

It is extremely similar to "Matrix". Both movies take a trivial idea ("Matrix": reality is actually a computer generated dream; "Inception": reality is influenced by a human-induced shared dreams) and make a movie out of it by adding large number of superficialities.

In "Matrix" it's tough looking impeccably clothed men beating main heroes up in highly choreographed fight scenes. I guess it must be the Hollywood's idea of what's going on inside a computer. I suppose if I had majored in communications, I would have thought about computers like that, too.

In "Inception" it is impeccably "architected" dreamscapes where the heroes get to confront - and conquer! - their demons. I guess it must be the Hollywood's idea of what's going on inside a human brain. I suppose if I had majored in said communications, I would have thought about the mechanics of human brain like that as well.

Why do I think "Titanic" is better? There, if one abstracts from the plot, one still gets to enjoy the vistas. In "Inception", unfortunately, there is no way to abstract from the plot...

No comments: