XP just flies on this box - boots in something line 10-15 seconds.
A friend has asked me for an advice for a game PC config, so I decided to put it here for future reference, too.
So here goes, with the recent prices, and links to Newegg where you can read the references:
- GIGABYTE GA-P35-DQ6 LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard $259
- EVGA 640-P2-N821-AR GeForce 8800GTS 640MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card $385
- Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 Conroe 3.0GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor $280
- mushkin 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory 2 kits x $57 (4GB total)
- SILVERSTONE ST1000 ATX12V / EPS12V 1000W Power Supply 100 - 240 V RoHS, CE, FCC $250
Total - just below $1300.
You will need at least a mini-tower case for it, and a hard drive, obviously, which would add another $100 to the price.
(Note - if you do not expect to add another video card for SLI, you can save $100 and go with 750W power supply).
---- An update: it turns out that the Gigabyte motherboard does not support SLI - you have to have Nvidia chipset for that. So go ahead and do save the $100 on the power supply, or use a different motherboard.